I have been blogging now for nearly 18 months and I can confidently say it is my favourite hobby. However, as any fellow bloggers out there will know, blogging is so time consuming. There are always posts to be written, photos to be taken, promotion to be done, comments to read..oh the list goes on. A blogger’s to do list really is endless. With baby number two due to arrive in less than 8 weeks, I am starting to have a serious think about my blog and how I am going to be able to keep it going when I have a newborn as well as Leo to look after. I have decided to create a new blogging schedule in an attempt to be able to keep on writing, even through the sleep deprived and baby brain days.
My new blogging schedule
Every blogger is different and what, how and when people write varies from blogger to blogger. Some people write a new post every day, others only publish something new a couple of times a month and there are bloggers that will only reach for the laptop when inspiration hits. I am not here to tell you the secret to creating the perfect blogging schedule as I don’t think there is one. I am a firm believer in doing what you want when it comes to blogging, it is your blog after all and up to you how often you want to write. Blogging is not a one size fits all kind of deal, we all have different lives and circumstances and what works well for one blogger isn’t necessarily going to work for another. Personally, I like to publish at least one post on the same day every week, I write in advance and I feel relaxed knowing I will always have something ready to go live on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday.
Most weeks I publish between 3-5 posts and, at the minute, I am happy with this. However, I am not sure I can commit to this once baby is here. I no way want to give up blogging but I also don’t want to miss out on any of those precious newborn moments either. Leo is going to need extra attention from me too as I am sure having a new baby in the house and having to share me with his new brother isn’t going to be easy for him.
A new blogging schedule seems like a good solution for me in the build up to baby’s arrival and I will try to stick to it once my boy is here – maybe not in those crazy first couple of weeks after the birth though! I love my blog but given a choice between living my life and writing about it, obviously I am going to choose to live it. My blog will always be here for me when I want it, Leo will only be home with me for one more year before he starts school and we all know how crazily fast baby’s first year whizzes by.
Here it is, my new blogging schedule, coming in to place as of today..
* I will be writing 3 posts a week only.
* One post will be a vlog. My videos will be about the things I would normally write about but chatting to camera is much less time consuming than sitting and writing and requires far less brain power. Lazy maybe, but when the newborn days hit and my mind has once again succumb to baby brain. I think vlogging is a good way for me to still be getting what I have to say out there. I may be wearing sunglasses and be rocking a mum bun though so you can’t see how tired I look!
* New posts will go live on Monday, Wednesday and Friday as usual.
* I will be being more selective with the linkys I join. I am very loyal when it comes to where I link up and I always feel guilty if I miss a week and end up commenting loads the next week to try and make up for it. Most weeks I join in with at least 13 linkys. I love spreading some love around the blogging community and discovering new blogs but reading and commenting on even just the minimum posts takes up a lot of time. From now on I will mix up the linkys I join, instead of trying to make it to them all every week I will link up with a few and then link up with the ones I missed the following week instead.
* My blog newsletter will go live every Friday as usual but instead of creating a new one each week, from now on I will be sending one automatically created by mailchimp using my RSS feed. This will save me about an hour every Friday morning where I could be cuddling my baby or playing games with Leo.
* I am looking for guest bloggers to come and feature on my blog in those inevitable weeks where I will just be too exhausted to string an eligible sentence together. If you are interested in writing a post for me to share over here on Naptime Natter, please get in touch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
* I will still (hopefully!) be working with brands, writing reviews and interesting sponsored content. However, if I am lucky enough to have lots of brand work lined up I will make sure only one sponsored post/review is published a week. Whilst I absolutely love working with brands, it is still important to me that the majority of my blog content is born from ideas that are completely my own and posts mostly centre around my family and experiences. One sponsored post/review a week to two personal posts seems like the perfect formula to me.
That’s it. There are not many dramatic changes but hopefully this new schedule will free up some of my time. I think this tiny step back from blogging is going to make the juggling act of finding that family/writing life balance a little easier. Blogging may be my favourite hobby, it may even be a source of income sometimes but it is in no way my whole life. I love to write but I love spending precious time and creating beautiful memories with my family even more.
Do you have a blogging schedule? What do you find works best for you? Also, bloggers with newborns..how do you do it, seriously?! Oh, does anyone else get linky guilt or is that just me? I would love to hear your thoughts.
This post is linked to some of these amazing blog link ups. If you love blogs, go check them out and share the love.
Never miss a post. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a catch up email every Friday – no spam 🙂
* After my recent blog move from Blogger to Word Press, some of my posts have been left looking a bit strange. I am working my way through everything and sorting out the formatting, hopefully it won’t take me too long! If you come across a post with strange looking formatting please let me know as I might have missed it. Thank you 🙂 *