Ahh, the terrible twos. Parents the world over know about them, some may dread them while others may have more of a ‘bring it on’ attitude towards them. The second birthday of a child is a big deal, it sees them slipping further away from babyhood and, unfortunately, comes with the promise of ‘terrible’ things to come. Leo was showing signs of a temper quite early on so by the time his second birthday rolled around I was a bit of a nervous wreck. With him already throwing regular tantrums and being fiercely independent, I was convinced this next year was going to be hell. Anyway, last month Leo turned three and we have all made it through the terrible twos in one piece! Now that dreaded year is behind me I feel like it is time to reflect and to share with you my verdict – was it really all that bad?
Like all things in life, from the day my boy turned two to the day he turned three, there have been many ups and downs. Would I describe this year as terrible though? Have I spent the year in a constant battle with my toddler? Watch the vlog below to find out what the big t-w-o was like for us.
The terrible twos – was it really so bad?
There you have it. There have been tears, laughter, tantrums and fun. The last 12 months have been challenging and difficult but also heart warming, funny and amazing. No, it’s not been perfect, how could it be? Leo is growing, developing his independence and learning what’s right and wrong – living with a two year old was is no way easy but I wouldn’t describe it as terrible either. The year from 2 – 3 was a crazy rollercaoster ride and you know what, I have a feeling things aren’t going to be much different now Leo is three!
So, is your little one nearly 2? Are you dreading it? Here are my 5 top pieces of advice to help you make it through the more ‘terrible’ side of having a two year old.
* Tantrums are hard, you probably won’t know how to cope with them at first. When you find a method that works for you and your toddler, stick with it! I have learnt that consistency really is key to dealing with a toddler meltdown.
* Cherish the good times and the happy everyday moments, by remembering them it will make the hard days that bit easier. A little reminder that your child is not always as difficult as it may feel in that particular moment really does help you stay positive, even in the most difficult of times.
* Write about it! You don’t have to blog about it, like I do, but just writing down how you are feeling in a diary or notepad can really help you get things off your chest and even help clear your mind of the negative feelings, in turn helping you come up with a coping strategy for when the next meltdown happens. Although, by blogging about Leo’s tantrums I have been given some amazing support and advice, the blogging community is pretty amazing like that.
* Talk about it. Don’t just leave you feelings as words on a page. Discuss them with your friends, family and other half. You might feel alone but you’re not, there are plenty of other parents of 2 year olds out there who are all going through a similar thing to you. A good chat can do you the world of good.
* Remember it won’t last forever. One day your child will have grown out of their tantrums and then one day after that they will be a teenager and you will be in for a whole word of different problems. Enjoy as much of the toddler years as you can, it may not feel like it when your child is screaming on the supermarket floor, but I bet there will come a day when you would do anything for them to be little and 2 again.
Have you got a 2 year old? Are you having a terrible time or is it actually not as bad as you were expecting? Has anyone else who’s been through the horrible toddler tantrums got any advice or words of support, did you think the twos were terrible? I would love to know your thoughts.
This post is linked to some of these amazing blog link ups. If you love blogs, go check them out and share the love.
Never miss a post. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and receive a catch up email every Friday – no spam 🙂
* After my recent blog move from Blogger to Word Press, some of my posts have been left looking a bit strange. I am working my way through everything and sorting out the formatting, hopefully it won’t take me too long! If you come across a post with strange looking formatting please let me know as I might have missed it. Thank you 🙂 *