‘A mouse took a stroll through the deep, dark wood…’
I will give you three guesses as to what book this opening line is from. I am betting all parents out there will only need one and could then go on to read the rest from memory. The Gruffalo is Leo’s favourite ever book, it is the book he asks me to read the most, he always want it more than once and he can already recite some of the lines back to me.
The Gruffalo is an exciting story about the woodland adventures of a little mouse, accompanied by wonderful illustration by Axel Scheffler. We are slowly developing a bit of a collection of Julia Donaldson books and both Leo and I think she and her stories are amazing!
15 reasons why Julia Donaldson is awesome…
1. She invented the coolest creature ever.
2. Her writing is fun to read and easy to remember, great for those times you don’t have a book handy and baby wants a story.
3. She teaches us that if we are clever and cunning we can get out of sticky situations – stay back Gruffalo or you are going in a crumble because that is totally my favourite food, I eat it all the time (lies!).
4. She has a brilliant imagination and this rubs off onto our kids through her storytelling.
5. She teaches us to follow our dreams and that we can be whatever we want, such as a doctor who flies around on a dragon.
6. Thanks to the BBC adaptations of her books, Christmas daytime TV is a bit less boring than it once was.
7. She wrote Charlie Cooks Favourite Book, a book about books which shows how amazing books are (say book again..book).
8. She writes for all young ages so no child has to miss out on her stories.
9. The Gruffalo has provided parents everywhere with an excellent theme for birthday parties with the food already decided for them, scrambled snake anyone?
10. When my son asks ‘again again’ I really don’t mind. This is not always the case with children’s books, sometimes I can’t wait to get to the end.
11. She teaches us that wandering off while your parents are asleep in their cave is not always a good idea.
12. Her books include children’s favourites such as dragons, witches and giants.
13. She teaches us to be kind to others, even if it may result in our broom (real or metaphorical) breaking into pieces.
14. Her stories really engage, make children laugh and help them enjoy reading.
15. As a children’s author, she is pretty much perfect.
Does your child like Julia Donaldson? Or do your kids have a different favourite author? For now atleast, Julia Donaldson is clearly at the top of Leo’s list.