Yes, you did read that right.
I am a woman of lists: to do lists, shopping lists and now, blogging ideas lists. To do lists help me keep on top of everything going on and even if there is loads of stuff to do I always feel like having it written down makes it seem more manageable.
Anyway, we all know the purpose of the do list but this post is a to don’t list.
Instead of writing down all the boring jobs that need doing, I decided to write a list of all the things that I don’t want to do anymore. So all the things I do that don’t make me happy are going on the to don’t list, followed by a reason explaining why I shouldn’t be doing it. So if I’m ever stressing about anything I can just look it up on here and remind myself why it’s not worth worrying about.
I have no idea if this is a new concept or not but it’s something I have been thinking about doing for a while.
To don’t list
● Stress about money – you have always got food in the fridge, a house and everything else you need. Yes, you may not be able to afford lots of nice things but money isn’t everything and you could have it a lot, lot worse.
● Worry if Leo skips meals – it is frustrating and scary to think he’s not eating enough but the boy isn’t going to starve himself. You always offer him food, he just might not fancy lunch today..we all have days like that.
● Hate your body – the poor thing has been through a lot! You carried a baby for nearly 42 weeks and breastfed for 10 months.. it would be some kind of miracle if you still had the figure of your 21 year old self. As far as post baby bodies go, yours isn’t that bad.
● Feel ashamed about your job -there is nothing wrong with being a barmaid. So what you have a degree, circumstances meant you weren’t able to start a career when you wanted. Given the choice there’s no way you would choose having a career over having Leo. You will always have a degree and there’s plenty of time yet, for now just enjoy this special time with your little boy, so many mums don’t get that.
● Feel guilty for treating yourself – being a mum is hard work, if you want to sit Leo down with the tv for 20 minutes while you have a cup of tea then just do it. Leo isn’t going to feel neglected and the TV won’t hurt his development, just think of all the things he has learnt from Mr Tumble. Enjoy some me time, read a chapter of your book if you want..it is totally allowed!
Wow..I already feel a lot better just for writing all that down!
There’s a lot more I could add but perhaps that’s for another day. Maybe if you have a lot of stuff on your mind you could try writing a to don’t list? It has really helped me to see all my negative thoughts from a more positive perspective.
You can find this post linked to some of these amazing blog link ups –
Maternity Mondays | Marvellous Mondays | Posts from the Heart | #MG | Big Pink Link | Twinkly Tuesday | Dream Team | Tried and Tested | Blogger Club UK | Best and Worst | Family Fun | Cool Mum Club | A Blogging Good Time | The List Linky | PoCoLo |For the Love of Blog | KCACOLS …and of course #BlogCrush, the linky I co host every Friday.
Find me on Twitter ..
Thanks for reading, if you enjoyed this post I would love for you to share it 🙂