As a mum with two sons I know A LOT about super hero characters. I feel like if I went on Mastermind I would be a fool not to choose Marvel as my specialist subject. At present, Leo loves pretending to be Thanos from Avengers and Alex chases him around the house shouting ‘Hulk Smash!’ in his deepest most threatening voice – it is very funny to watch. Spider Man has always been a firm favourite for both boys though and they really love playing with all their Spider Man toys. My favourite super hero isn’t Spider Man or Iron Man, Captain America or Black Panther or anyone from the pages of a comic book. My favourite super hero, well super heroes, are my two boys. My sons are my heroes and here are 5 reasons why I feel that way.
5 reasons why my sons are my little super heroes
1. They make a great team – They may squabble a bit like Cap and Iron Man, they don’t always see eye to eye but when it matters most, they make a great team. They know when mama needs a cuddle and both spoil me with hugs on the sofa. They know when I need them to be good boys and they put their differences aside and get on with each other and play nicely. They love a shared task and I love to hear them giggle and chat to each other as they try and conquer their missions together.
2. They rescue me – On days when I feel miserable, when I can’t be bothered to get out of bed, they give me reason to. Being a mum is hard but these little boys of mine make all the tough days completely worth it. They are funny, loving, imaginative and just wonderful little humans and just by being them, they rescue me from a much more dull existence every single day.
3. They are helpful – Just like it is super helpful when The Avengers take down the baddies and restore normality back to the citizens of New York, my boys are really helpful too. Leo loves (and I’m not exaggerating, he LOVES it) steam cleaning the kitchen floor! Leo enjoys this job so much he gets upset if he spots I have done it without him. Alex always puts his rubbish in the bin and tries his best to put the washing machine on too! I won’t pretend they are perfect, every hero has their flaws, but these kids of mine are really helpful and they don’t seem to mind helping their old mama out when she asks.
4. They care about others – Leo is six so his world does pretty much revolve around himself but he is a caring little boy too and I love seeing that side of him. He is so gentle with his baby sister, if anyone comes close to Alex he makes sure they know he is his baby brother and if I am having a down day I get completely covered in kisses and cuddled all day. Alex always likes to check in with us all, see what we are doing and give us a big smile and a cuddle. Comic book heroes care about saving the world, my boys care about their family and it is such a beautiful thing to see.
5. They are full of character – What is a super hero without an awesome personality? Spider Man is youthful and funny, Captain America is serious yet honourable, Iron Man is arrogant but somehow makes it work in his favour, Thor is noble and friendly and Hulk is..umm..green. My boys are full of character too and I just love their little personalities. Leo is strong minded but loving, bossy but loves a shared activity. He is funny and clever and can talk alllll day. His super power would be capturing the bad guy and just talking at them for hours until they begged to be thrown into jail! Alex is calmer, more relaxed and always happy but he is also absolutely hilarious. He likes to put on shows and have everyone watching him. His super power would be calmly taking a bad guy by the hand and using his adorable toddler babble to encourage him to quit a life of crime and join him in making puzzles all over the floor instead – he’s very persuasive like that!
Both my boys are really imaginative and a super hero definitely needs a good imagaination. You have got to be creative when getting out of sticky situations and saving the world after all. The boys were sent an amazing bundle of Spider Man toys from shopDisney and they have had so much fun making up games, imagining they are really Spider Man and saving the day. The costumes are perfect for getting into character and the web shooting gloves have provided hours of fun. The talking Spider Man mask is so cool and both boys love pretending to be Spidey. The gloves in the costumes project a little Spider Man face on to the wall and the boys loved discovering this for the first time. They have bee putting their imaginations to work too when playing with their new Avengers Legends figures and walkie talkies. shopDisney has got so many awesome toys for your little Marvel fan and my super heroes have absolutely loves testing out all the Spider Man toys.
Who is your favourite Marvel super hero? Or, are you not fussed on comic book heroes and see someone else as a super hero instead? My boys are my heroes – just don’t tell their dad!